Medical referral / Sports Specific development / Health and Wellbeing
Weight Management / Injury rehabilitation
ALL UNDER ONE ROOF ACROSS 8 DEPARTMENTS
- Legal work; As members of MLACP (the Medico Legal Association of Chartered Physiotherapy) we are able to work for solicitors and barristers, providing medico legal report services. This means our expert opinions can be used for specialist legal purposes, like court cases. Our work in this area means we can define ourselves as ‘expert witnesses’ and we are listed in the MLACP member’s directory. Cover such areas as road traffic accidents, accident at work and many more.
- Sport Specific Injury; Physiotherapy is able to offer sport specific rehab exercises which directly transfer into the skills/ movements required in any given sport. From dance to contact sport, hot and cold therapy can also be used in conjunction with training to reduce the chances of future re-injury
- Kinesio Taping; Elastic therapeutic tape is a cotton strip with an acrylic adhesive that is used for treating athletic injuries and a variety of physical disorders. The tape is used in therapy to relax overused muscles and in rehabilitation to facilitate underused muscles. Advocates claim that the wave pattern found on the tape's adhesive has a lifting effect on the skin which can reduce swelling and inflammation by improving circulation and reduce pain by taking pressure off pain receptors. The elastic properties can also be utilized in a mechanical fashion to limit or encourage a specific motion at a joint
- Postural retraining; There are often direct links between postural positions and correlating muscle aches/ nerve irritations. Using simple assessment and treatment techniques, physiotherapists can address many postural adaptations which may be ergonomically/ habitually gained by using gentle manipulations, taping techniques and basic postural exercises.
- Balance problems; Physiotherapy offers a range of treatment options for correcting/ retraining balance impairments. Whether the problem is of a muscle imbalance/ postural adaptation/ vestibular/ vision origin, there are a wide range of exercises available to address and manage any balance deficits.
- Neck pain; whether it’s an acute or long-standing injury, confined to a specific region or referring to other areas; physiotherapy can treat and teach the self management of neck pain using gentle mobility exercises alongside other techniques which target pain reduction and the prevention of further decline in neck function.
- Back pain; there is a wide range of treatment techniques and exercises which can be utilized to decrease pain, increase movement and restore functional ability. Sufferers of chronic back pain may also benefit from simple lifestyle adaptations and management techniques which coincide with our patient education.
- Arthritis; physiotherapy can offer exercise programmes designed to maintain joint ranges and muscle strength. Management of swelling and painful inflammation can also be taught alongside patient education.
- Osteoporosis; whether you are seeking ways of preventing the onset of osteoporosis, or simply maintaining your current level of function, physiotherapy is equipped to supply you with a general exercise programme which aims to address muscle strength and joint stability and maximize function.
- Joint pain; Shoulder/ Elbow/ Wrist/ Hip/ Knee or Ankle; Physiotherapy can effectively assess and treat joint injuries which have been acquired through over-use, trauma or gradual onset. Appropriate exercises are prescribed to regain baseline function; through improving joint range and muscle strengthening.
- Introduction to exercise – From Stress to Cardiovascular disease, Arthritis to Diabetes, Obesity to Musculo-skeletal disorders and many more medical conditions, the “Introduction to Exercise” program is design to promote knowledge and awareness of the benefits of exercise.
- Fitness and Health - A variety of exercise principles brought together leading the path to a better quality of lifestyle.
- Prenatal and past natal – With professional guidance exercise and activity can be maintained during these trying times on your body, or maybe your pregnancy is the best excuse to get you started.
- Corrective Exercise – A scientific use of bodily movements to restore normal functions in diseased or injured tissues or maintain a state of well being.
- Flexibility and Stability – Flexibility training is perhaps the most undervalued component of Body and sports conditioning. While recent and on-going debate’s question its role in injury prevention. Using a range of extensive exercise theory’s through static, active and dynamic movement to elongate soft tissues(flexibility). These methods of training are also used to increase the ability to maintain balance and correct position (stability) whilst forces work to displace from original or correct position.
- Weight management – With weight gain or weight loss this program as a balanced design of nutrition and exercise, creates the road to success in reaching a desired target weight using carefully designed exercises to suit each individual.
- Body toning – A collective set of weight exercises and cardiovascular training designed to improve muscle definition and body shape
- Injury rehab - A series of injury specific exercises designed to work in collaboration with our physiotherapy department to ensure range of movement, stability and strength are all gained in a safe and everyday practical manor.
Sport Specific Conditionong - Strength and Endurance – a common goal for most athletes who want to produce force over an extended period of time with minimal reduction in quality. Endurance is used to develop the co-ordination of muscle contraction. Repetition methods are used with a high number of sets, low number of repetitions per set and intensity greater than 85% with distances covered from 60% to 120% of racing distance. Competition and time trials can be used in the development of speed endurance.
Power – Understanding the importance of POWER training within sports our professional trainers related to the specific movement within each given sport to create the ultimate outcome and conquer those explosive movements required to achieve your ultimate goals.
- Pilates is a movement therapy that uses a method of physical and mental exercise to strengthen and build control of muscles, especially those used for posture. Awareness of breathing and precise control of movements are integral components of Pilates with a focus on strengthening the abdominal core. Special equipment can often used.
- An ancient art and philosophy that involves both mind and body and is aimed at self-development and self-realization. The physical practice of yoga involves performing postures, using controlled breathing and meditation to stretch and tone the body and improve circulation and is widely practiced for health and relaxation.
- Weight management
Under-weight and over-weight can both be detrimental to health and also inhibit daily activities.
Educating the client on healthy eating is vital in a weight management programme. Action plans may vary between clients as individuals respond differently to change; an individual approach to each and every client is important to reach that target weight!! A change in attitude towards food, and/or a change in eating patterns can be all it takes to move in the right direction.
- Healthy eating
Body weight does not always reflect nutritional inadequacy; an individual maybe happy with their weight but need nutritional direction to achieve a healthier diet.
Healthy eating will affect all aspects of life from sleeping better, to being more alert in the work place, not to mention having more energy for an active lifestyle.
Education and a simple diet plan can be all it takes to re-energize your day!!
- Medical conditions
Some medical conditions may be improved by a change of diet and further complications avoided. Eg. Celiac, diabetes (type1+2), IBS, hiatus hernia, etc.
Educating the client and discussing important nutritional aspects of the condition can help control and reduce systems in future.
- Food Intolerance testing –
Food Scan – A unique service which analyses a person’s blood through a simple pinprick test kit to identify food intolerances (or delayed onset food allergies). York Test offers a two stage test, from the basic First Step Food Intolerance Test that lets you know whether your patient has raised IgG antibodies, to the in-depth test covering 113 foods. Food Scan is the only food intolerance test endorsed by Allergy UK.
Allergy Check – Classical allergies affect up to 30% of the population. York Test provides Allergy Check, a screening test for those who suffer from classical allergy reactions.
Homocysteine testing is emerging as being more predictive than cholesterol testing in assessing heart disease risk. Elevated homocysteine levels are believed to increase the risk of heart disease and strokes independent of other risk factors – York Test can measure these levels from a few droplets of blood.
Liver Check tests specifically for damage to liver cells by testing for two enzymes – ALT and AST. These enzymes are usually present inside liver cells, however damage to the liver can cause more ALT and AST to leak into the blood. Liver Check can therefore be an important indicator of liver damage. Gut Health Test is a service that helps your patients check and monitor the status of their gut health and provides detailed information to help optimise digestive health. The test is a stool test and we test for different bacterias, yeast and moulds to see whether the gut ecology is in balance.
Sports Massage - A deep tissue massage involving the manipulation of soft tissue to benefit a person engaged in regular activity. It helps to correct problems and imbalances in soft tissue that are caused from repetitive physical injury.
Neck, back and shoulders - Deep but therapeutic massage of the neck, back, shoulders and arms releasing the pain caused by everyday stress and strains, injuries and tension. Improves the flexibility of the muscle and helps with posture awareness.
Deep Tissue - A deep massage needed by many due to everyday wear and tear and general bad posture
Deep tissue leg massage - A deep tissue massage involving the manipulation of soft tissue to benefit a person engaged in regular activity. It helps to correct problems and imbalances in soft tissue that are caused from repetitive physical injury.
Relaxing full body - A relaxing full body Swedish massage. Relieving all anxiety, tension, aches and pains. Increases blood flow, circulation and lymph flow. Will leave you on cloud nine!
Reflexology - Reflexology is a therapy involving the physical act of applying pressure to the feet, hands, or ears with specific thumb, finger, and hand techniques without the use of oil or lotion. This treatment relieves tension and directs the free flow of energy throughout the body, thus encouraging normalization of bodily functions and its capacity for self healing. Each treatment induces a deep state of relaxation helping to alleviate physical and mental stress considered to be the cause of so much ill health.
- Acupuncture - A system of complementary medicine that involves pricking the skin or tissues with needles, used to alleviate pain and to treat various physical, mental, and emotional conditions, such as????
- Confidence building – This service involves the study of how psychological factors which effect everyday confidence in business social and home environments. “Confidence Building” works toward tackling those everyday barriers to keep you at the forefront of your future.
- Sports specific performance enhancement – This service involves the study of how psychological factors affect performance and how participation in sport and exercise affect subconscious and physical factors. In addition to instruction and training of psychological skills for performance improvement, applied “performance enhancement” may include work with athletes, coaches, and parents regarding injury, rehabilitation, communication, team building, and career transitions.